One of the causes of constipation is neuropathy. Although not many people have not heard of this diseases, it is a common complication in which the nerves are damaged. Among other problems neuropathy can cause constipation and diarrhea. Usually around 60 to 70 percent of diabetes patients suffer from some form of neuropathy. Usually any disease or condition which damage the nerves can cause neuropathy.
Apart from diabetes other causes of neuropathy may include injuries, high levels of toxins in the body, lack of vitamin B, too much of constant stress levels, injuries and alcoholism and uncontrolled blood sugar levels.
This nerve disease can affect the functionality of almost any organ including digestive tract, sex organs and heart.
How Neuropathy Causes Constipation
In this condition the nerves of the digestive tract can be damaged. When digestive tract nerves are damaged, the organs which digest and expel the waste from the food cannot work properly. The peristaltic movements of the intestines are affected due to which the food cannot move towards the colon from where the body expels it. The involuntary muscles which help in digestion do not function properly which can also cause diarrhea. In diabetes also the nerves are damaged and diabetes can cause constipation.
Symptoms of Neuropathy
- There will be numbness in the various organs such as toes, fingers, kegs and arms.
- Anxiety and pain at night.
- Redness, swelling or blisters in the feet. Sometimes there may be cuts, scratches or nail problems.
- Frequent indigestion, vomitting, constipation or diahhrea.
- Weakness, depression and unwanted loss of weight.
How to Control
- Exercise regularly for around half an hour.
- Check blood glucose levels regularly and keep it in control.
- Dry the feet after washing and do not leave moist area between the toes.
- Use skin lubricant for dry skin.
- Keep an eye on the feet for any signs of problems
- Take medications regularly
Things to avoid in Neuropathy
- Do not take alcohol
- Do not walk barefoot. Use socks at home also as much as possible.
- Do not remove any corn on your home
- Do not ignore any injury and contact the doctor as soon as possible.