Psyllium husk is a natural fiber and it is another name for Isabgol and it is a commonly used solution for constipation cure due to its laxative effects. Psyllium husks are one of the most popular laxative which is available naturally since it is mostly inert. The main action of of psyllium husk is because of its bulk producing ability when it comes in contact with water or milk.
Psyllium husks are the main component of popular constipation remedy known by the brand name of metamucil. Since the main component used in metamucil is psyllium husk, therefore side effects of psyllium husks and metamucil are also similar.
Before knowing about the psyllium husk side effects let us learn a little about how it works.
Psyllium husk is produced from psyllium seeds and it is a commonly grown medicinal plant. Husks from psyllium are not absorbed in the body but it acts as a catalyst while clearing the bowels. For more information on psyllium you can read Isabgol for Constipation Relief.
When using this laxative you need to be aware of its various benefits and side effects.
Benefits of Psyllium Husk or Metamucil
Psyllium husk absorbs milk or water which is taken with it and create bulk in the intestines which activates the intestinal muscles and clears the bowels. Here are the other benefits of psyllium husk.
Psyllium husk is most commonly used for constipation but it also has several other benefits –
- Many people find it useful for weight loss and weight control since it absorbs of fats and glucose.
- People who suffer from pile get relief since t makes the stool easier to pass by making it soft.
- Psyllium husk is also beneficial for diarrhea, dysentery or loose motions if we take it with curd.
- These husks also benefit the diabetes patients since has the ability to regulate the blood glucose levels and keep insulin levels under control.
- Psyllium removes phlegm and mucous from the body and hence it is useful for both chronic cough and constipation.
- Psyllium husk are not absorbed by the body hence they do not have any side effects of interfering with the chemical composition of the body.
Possible Psyllium or Metamucil Side Effects
As in case of other medicines of laxatives, you should be careful in certain conditions while taking Psyllium husks as there can be some side effects also. Here are some of the side effects of psyllium husk.
- In case you have intestinal ulcer avoid psyllium as it can aggravate the ulcer. In case of colic pain or hernia also it is advisable to talk to doctor before taking psyllium husk. Consult you doctor before taking psyllium if you have had prior surgery of the abdominal organ.
- Many people also suffer from allergy to isabgol husk dust. To check if you have allergy take psyllium in some small quantity and see if there is any allergic reaction. If you are allergic then avoid psyllium to prevent complications like nausea, vomiting and headaches.
- In some rare cases there is a likelihood of choking of the esophagus or intestines due to psyllium if taken in too much quantity. Take more water when you take psyllium since it has tendency to absorbs water from the body. If you take more water it will reduce the risk of choking to minimum and also keep the husk soft.
- Those with problems of nervous system should also avoid psyllium.
If you are allergic to psyllium you can opt for other natural remedies for constipation which can help you you to avoid and get rid of constipation. You can also eat some foods which are good for constipation which will help you to prevent side effects of laxatives.
How to Buy Psyllium Husks
You can order Psyllium Husk online at amazon online and get it delivered at home. It is at present available for $20.83 at amazon where as the original price is $30.00 which means it is available at more than 30% discount and this quantity is sufficient for many cycles.