Constipation is a condition which can really trouble you a lot. Constipation can be caused due to many reasons which can be sometimes under your control and sometimes due to body conditions not under your control. For example if the constipation is caused by bad eating habits like improper intake of water it can be controlled more easily. However if the constipation is caused by certain diseases like diabetes or gout then you need to be more careful about controlling the diet and having proper exercise to keep constipation under control.
If you suffer from constipation once in a while then it is not a matter of concern. However if you suffer from chronic constipation for a long duration it can cause many side effects. Some of these side effects may be serious while other side effects may not be that serious. Let us have a look at few of the common side effects of constipation.
Side Effects Chronic Constipation
- Build up of Toxins – Since constipation stops the elimination of waste from the body it starts accumulating in the body and toxins start building up in the body. Toxins in the body can causes many problems including skin diseases and infection of the blood.
- Kidney Problems – Toxins may be of different kinds which can be nitrogenous wastes and sticky waste products. It may also contain various kinds of foods such as partially digested proteins. If you take meat products it is likely to cause worse problems problems when the flesh starts rotting in the intestines. Increased toxins can cause problems in the Kidneys if they are unable to take the load and in some patients causes infection and this is more likely if you are already suffering from Kidney problems.
- Lethargy – The toxins in the intestines are again passed back to the blood from the intestines. When the toxins increase in the blood and body it sucks your energy and you do not feel like doing any activity. You would lack energy to do any work properly and not feel well.
- Colon Cancer – Those who suffer from chronic constipation for a very long time are many times more likely to suffer from colon cancer since colon easily gets infected due to the toxins created by constipation. They also have to go for colon cleanse which is also not a truly natural thing to do. When the constipation lasts for a long time the colon loses it natural ability to push the stool out and that in turn affects the constipation problem even more.
- Obesity – Constipation people are also like to suffer from obesity. The reason for this is chronic constipation increases the toxicity in the blood which may increase the pressure on the Liver and the Kidney and hence it affects their metabolism which can lead to weight gain since the fat we eat does not get eliminated.
- Hemorrhoids Fissure and Piles – When someone is constipation they put more pressure to pass the stool. This puts more pressure on the muscles of the colon and the anus. It also puts more pressure on the veins and arteries in the at region. Since they are nearer to the skin they can burst open and bleeding can start. Hard stool which passes also further injures these blood vessels. This way injury can be caused to the anal area which can get injured and it can develop into hemorrhoids and piles. In the case of piles and hemorrhoids rectal bleeding can cause loss of blood, anemia and weakness,
- Bloated Stomach – Constipation can also lead to bloated stomach and loss of appetite. You always feel heavy and have a feeling of heaviness and in general not in a good mood.
- Aggravates Stomach Ulcers – Many people also suffer from Ulcers of the stomach or intestines. Ulcers in the stomach and the intestines can get more serious due to two reasons in case of chronic constipation – Firstly since chronic constipation hardens the feces they can aggravate the ulcers due to friction. Secondly the fiber based laxatives such as isabgol or metamucil can also rough up the injury and cause it to deepen further. As mentioned above chronic constipation also increases toxins int the body and due to this the healing of ulcers of other diseases can slow down substantially.
- Rectal Prolapse – Rectal prolapse is a condition where in a small portion of the intestine can come out of the rectum. This needs to be pushed back. This is both an embarrassing and very uncomfortable condition. This is an indication that the rectum muscles have become weak and this is more likely to appear again and again.
- Diverticulitis – This is a condition where in some sections of the intestines due to increased pressure can develop infection. This is also caused by chronic constipation.
adverse effects of constipation
- includes people starting to take too much laxative such as metamucil indiscriminately. There can be
- or other laxatives about which you should be careful about.
Taking Care of Constipation
To take care of constipation take lots of water and fruits and do regular exercise. There are also several home remedies for constipation and natural remedies for constipation which can be effective in solving your problem. This site contains numerous solutions and articles which can help you to understand the cause of constipation and how to get rid of this problem.
Read the relevant articles and select the most appropriate solution for yourself. One of the good places to start would be reading more on various reasons for constipation to learn what could be the reason for your constipation so that you can take appropriate solution or remedy.