In general, practice of yoga increases fitness, strength and flexibility and help in overall fat reduction. However, some of the poses are effective in curing constipation problem. Let us learn how to use Yoga for constipation cure as well as reduce belly fat. One of the poses which is effective in constipation is known as Urdhva Prasarita Padasana.
Urdhva Prasarita Padasana (Upward Extended Feet Pose) is practiced while lying on back. You can practice this pose in the middle of your yoga practice sequence or also in isolation. Apart from constipation relief and reducing fat, this pose also strengthens lower back muscles. This is quite a simple pose to practice though initially you may find that the abdomen has insufficient strength to hold the pose, but gradually you would become comfortable.
Steps to Practice Urdhva Prasarita Padasana
1. Lie down on the mat on your back.
2. With inhalation bring both the feet together and place them near the hip. Push the hip towards the feet so as to stretch the back.
3. Take one or two breaths and with exhalation raise both the feet up and bring the knee towards the abdomen.
4. Now raise the legs up, so that legs are perpendicular to the ground.
5. Move the hands above the head and continue to breathe normally.
6. Stay in this position with normal breathing, as long as you are comfortable then bring down the feet slowly with inhalation.
7. Repeat this pose three to four times.
Benefits of Urdhva Prasarita Padasana
1.This pose massages the abdominal organs. The abdominal organs which are major constituent of the digestive system are supplied with more blood flow, get renewed energy and start functioning properly.
2. As mentioned above it reduces belly fat.
3. This pose also strengthens the lower back.